Monday, December 27, 2010

The Countdown Begins: 51 Days

If the creation of this blog hadn't clued you in by now, I'm starting to get excited/scared/prepared for my upcoming semester in Harbin. (For those of you who have never heard of Harbin, which I expect is many of you,  I recommend you click here.) I board my non-stop (yes, that's 13.5 hours) flight bound for Beijing at noon on February 15th, leaving from O'Hare...and land at 4:30p the next day. But at least I get lunch twice!

After orientation in Beijing, I'll board a train with the other students in my program and head up to Harbin. Once we arrive, our language pledge kicks in (no more English until I return to the US!) and I'll move into my dorm with my Chinese roommate. From there, I'll start my classes and begin to feel like I'm drowning. :)

My parents set out this Christmas to prepare me well for the chilly weather (think: Minnesota) by getting me a nice convertible ski-style coat (as opposed to my many wool pea coats!), some lovely woolen socks and fleeces and such. My mom also found me a Chinese Bible which I am absolutely thrilled to learn to read. :D

So I suppose at some point I'm going to have to learn how to not pack absolutely everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment